Sunday, October 27, 2013

Jack Frost Stops by for a Chat





Jack Frost is sitting on the stoop when I come out in the morning.

“I killed your ferns,” he says with a smirk, and points to a clump of fronds outlined with delicate white crystals.

“You know those are perennial, right?  You didn’t kill them.  They’re just dormant now. Frankly, I think you improved their appearance,” I say.

“I was hoping they were tropical,” he says mournfully.

“We go through this every year, Jack. How can you be a manifestation of Nature if you can’t even remember what the basic laws of Nature are?  I don’t grow things that can’t survive your frost,” I scold.

“Jenny Letham down the street usually swears at me when I frost her plants,” Jack replies.

“That’s because Jenny grows scented geraniums and always waits too long to bring them in.  She’s the garden nursery’s best customer.  I seriously don’t understand why you don’t spend more time mocking her instead of coming here every first frost and trying to get a rise out of me,” I sigh.

“She cries.  It makes me feel bad…well, you make me feel bad too, but it’s a different kind of bad.  You just make me feel stupid.  Jenny makes me feel mean.” Jack fiddles with a leaf, slowly tracing its veins with a light coating of frost.

I have to think for a while before I answer him on this.  Jenny is the one who is stupid, and Jack isn’t being mean when he frosts plants that can’t survive our climate.  My plants need the cold period  to live, which is just one reason why I’m not a fan of Jenny’s efforts to defy the laws of our winters.  Jenny’s delusional anger at Jack for frosting her tropical plants is not something that I want Jack to pander to.  At the same time, I like this side of Jack and I’m inclined  to encourage these signs of a conscience.  I decide not to directly respond to his concerns about Jenny.

“I really like what you did to the pine,” I eventually say.  “Your work really stands out on the dark green needles and the pine cones on that branch there.”

Jack looks up. “It is pretty good,” he says with a real smile.  “I spent extra time on those pine cones because I knew you would appreciate it.”

“I do.  I always love when you come back in for the winter.  You make the whole world look like it’s wearing a beautiful ball gown.” I grin at him.

“I could come earlier if you miss me,” he says.

I know he’s testing.  “No, no, Jack.  The best thing about you is that you always come for a visit at just the right time.  You’re so wise for that,” I add.

“Hmm.”  Jack puts the finishing touches on the ironwork around my door.  “I guess it’s a good thing to only visit just when people are starting to miss you.”

“Absolutely, Jack. Absolutely.  This is why we are such good friends,” I say.

“Yes, that’s exactly so. By the way, I just frosted your coffee.  Hope you like it that way,” he says.  He flies off before I can reply.

Author: Beth Avery @violetgrendel
Word Count: 530 words
Genre: Speculative Fiction
E-book: Yes

3 comments:

  1. Oh this is so cute! About time Jack received some kind words despite his mischievous nature especially at the end. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. "...I always love when you come back in for the winter. You make the whole world look like it’s wearing a beautiful ball gown." Love this line, and I love Jack Frost. Great banter between these two!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the camaraderie between these two. Such a fun piece!

    ReplyDelete